PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Review: The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
  • Hardcover: 416 pages
  • Publisher: Scholastic Press (September 18, 2012)
Goodreads Description:

“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before.

***************************

My Thoughts:

Words cannot truly describe how I feel about this book...but I will try. Please bear with my as my mind is still boggling. There was an instant connection to the characters and the story for me. I wanted to be part of the story, be friends with Blue and the boys, take part in their adventure...and as I read this story I felt like I did. 

The characters were so well written and unique. Something I really love is that the four Raven Boys are so unlike each other and by all rights should not get a long much less be friends and yet they are. It is almost as if they each lack something important but when you put the four of them together they are made whole. 

Reading this book actually made me think of a series I loved as a kid, The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. It invokes a similar feeling of magic and adventure so I think that if you like The Dark is Rising you will like The Raven Boys.

I read this in one sitting because I couldn't imaging putting it down. Sleep didn't matter, all that mattered was knowing what was going to happen. The ending to this book was perfect and left me craving more. I will definitely snap up the sequel the day it comes out and not a moment later.  There are a number of shocks, twists, and dangerous moments that will make you hold your breath in anticipation for the outcome. Mystery, magic, adventure, and betrayal are also something to look forward to when reading this book. This has been my favorite read so far this year and I have a feeling that status is untouchable.

6/5
This book broke my rating system lol!

*I received this book for review. Any opinions are my own.*

 CymLowell


Photobucket

2 comments:

mamabunny13 said...

When I read the synopsis on this I thought it sounded like a great read. I guess I was right since you gave it a 6/5!

holdenj said...

I've heard really good things about this book. Can't wait to finally read it too! Six out of five is quite the recommendation!