PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Book Review: Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman

Hardcover: 185 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press (February 1, 2009)

Strange things are happening in Skeleton Creek . . . and Ryan and Sarah are trying to get to the heart of it. But after an eerie accident leaves Ryan housebound and forbidden to see Sarah, their investigation takes two tracks: Ryan records everything in his journal, while Sarah uses her videocam to search things out. . .and then email the clips for Ryan to see.

In a new, groundbreaking format, the story is broken into two parts -- Ryan's text in the book, and Sarah's videos on a special website, with links and passwords given throughout the book.

...................................................................

Skeleton Creek is written as Ryan's journal. There seems to be some kind of creepy conspiracy in the town of Skeleton Creek involving the death of Old Joe Bush and the dredge. Be prepared to go to your computer occasionally to watch Sarah's videos. A couple of the videos scared the bejeezus out of me but that could just be because I am a wimp. Very thrilling, and the ending leaves you hanging so you definitely have to check out the next book in the series, Ghost in the Machine. I was a bit skeptical at first about this book. I didn't think I would like the format, but I quickly got used to it and became absorbed in what was happening.


4/5

CymLowell

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like so much fun!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Wow! It's like The 39 Clues for grown ups!

I've seriously been wondering what the digital age would do to the epistolary/journal novel form, and I guess this is the most interactive example yet!

PS--I came here from the Book Review Party. =)

Unknown said...

skeleton creek is such a good book. I was the first student to read it in my class. then my friend read it then i read it again then evrybody else read it. Now one of my classmates has the second and i'm soooooooooooooooooooooo reading it. so if you havent read skeleton creek you should read it. now if you have read skeleton creek then rea the 2nd. ghost in the machine.