PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, August 6, 2010

Book Review: The Ivy by Lauren Kunze with Rina Onur

The Ivy by Lauren Kunze with Rina Onur
  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Greenwillow Books (August 31, 2010)
Amazon Description:

Congratulations! You have been admitted to the most prestigious university in the world. Now what are you going to do?

Callie Andrews may not have money or connections or the right clothes, and she may have way too many complications in her love life, what with—

Gregory
the guy she loves to hate

Evan
the guy she'd love to forget

Clint
the guy she'd love to love

and Matt
the guy she really should love

—all vying for her attention.

But she has three fantastic roommates (best friends or her worst nightmare?) and a wholesome California-girl reputation (oops) and brains and beauty and big, big dreams.

Will it be enough to help her survive freshman year at Harvard?

***********************************

Wow...seriously...wow. This is not the type of book I typically read but I thought the cover was interesting and the blurb was intriguing so I decided to try something new. I am so glad I went out of my comfort zone and read The Ivy because it blew me away!

Callie is a freshman at Harvard, which is a long way from her home in California. When she gets to Harvard she feels out of place and alone. Pretty soon, though, she become close with her roommates who are an interesting bunch of characters. Dana is super religious and conservative, Mimi is a French socialite who likes to drink quite a bit, and then there is Vanessa, who is all about appearances and making friends with the right kind of people. There are also the guys across the hall who they all hang out with. Adam is religious and a lot like Dana, OK is an African Prince who likes to have fun, Matt is a cute and somewhat nerdy guy, and Gregory is extremely hot but seems to be a major jerk. There are parties, classes, exclusive clubs, alcohol, sex, and betrayals in this book (Definitely not something for the younger set, it is more appropriate for older teens). Early on in the book readers find out the Callie is involved in some sort of scandal which has a major impact on her behavior throughout the book. In the end it makes you wonder how things would have been for her had that not happened. The biggest question for me is who would she be with?

When I reached the end of the book I practically screamed in frustration. It ends on a cliffhanger. This is good news and bad news. Obviously the bad news is that I don't know what happens next and I will have to wait for the next book. The good news, however, is that there will be a next book!! I honestly had no idea that it would be a series so I am very excited to find this out. I definitely love reading series because it means the story doesn't get rushed. I will be keeping an eye out for when the sequel releases so I can continue to read about what is going on with Callie and her friends.

5/5

I received an e-book copy for review from Greenwillow Books an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Any opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: