PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review: Possession by Elana Johnson

Possession by Elana Johnson
  • Hardcover: 416 pages
  • Publisher: Simon Pulse (June 7, 2011)
Goodreads Description:
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don’t walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn…and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi’s future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they’re set on convincing Vi to become one of them….starting by brainwashed Zenn. Vi can’t leave Zenn in the Thinkers’ hands, but she’s wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous: everything Zenn’s not. Vi can’t quite trust Jag and can’t quite resist him, but she also can’t give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

*************************************

I have very mixed feelings about this book. I love the idea of it, but it is extremely confusing. Hardly anything is really explained and honestly I felt lost for much of the story. I think the story lacked some focus. I also found that Vi's ignorance most of her life about her "powers" just doesn't mesh when so many other people happen to know about hers and their own (and have for awhile). Once she does realize she has these powers half the time she doesn't know what to do but then all of a sudden she knows she can do this complicated stuff but then goes back to not knowing what to do later. It was very back and forth and was a little off-putting. I think had there been more background info given about everything the story would have made more sense and I would really have loved this book.

Usually when there is a love triangle I find myself rooting for one of the guys, but that was not the case in this book. I though both were manipulative jerks in their own ways. Jag and Vi's relationship just didn't ring true for me. He doesn't really come across as sincere. As for Zenn, his situation is a little more complicated because it is difficult to tell what is really him and what is controlled.

Despite my criticism of certain aspects I did still find the book to be very interesting and the ending was pretty good. I'm not sure if there will be a sequel, but it is set up perfectly for one and I would probably read it to see if it things start making sense to me. The mind controlling, rules, technology, and the way society is set up is very intriguing and I hope that if there will be more books that it will explain more about the whys and hows of it all since it was just glossed over in Possession. If you enjoy reading dystopian you *might* enjoy reading this one.

2.5/5

I received an e-galley of this book for review. Any opinions expressed are my own.
Photobucket

No comments: