PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Review: Misguided Angel by Melissa de la Cruz

Misguided Angel (Blue Bloods #5) by Melissa de la Cruz
  • Hardcover: 272 pages
  • Publisher: Hyperion Book CH; First Edition edition (October 26, 2010)
Goodreads Description:

After inheriting the dark Van Alen Legacy, Schuyler fled to Florence with her forbidden love, Jack. Now the two of them must embark on the mission Schuyler was destined to complete: to find and protect the five remaining gates that guard the earth from Lucifer, lord of the Silver Bloods.

Back in New York, Mimi has been elected Regent of a crumbling coven. Struggling with her heartache over the loss of Kingsley and with her overwhelming desire to destroy Jack, she must focus all of her energy on a perilous new threat. Vampires are being abducted and their captors are planning to burn them alive online…for all the world to see. Help arrives in the form of Deming Chen, a Venator from Shanghai, who must untangle the web of deceptions before the killers strike again.

As the young vampires struggle for the survival of the coven, they uncover a deadly secret, a truth first discovered by Schuyler’s mother during the Renaissance but kept buried for centuries. And as the Blue Blood enclave weakens yet further, fate leads Schuyler to a terrible choice that will ultimately map the destiny of her heart.

*******************************************

This story was a little confusing at times for me since it has been awhile since I have read the previous books in the series. A glossary of people and terms would have been extremely helpful. Without a glossary I just had to guess at things occasionally which made reading this book a little more like a chore than something pleasurable.

The book is sort of sectioned out in 3 parts. The beginning is about Jack and Schuyler, the middle features Mimi, Oliver, and Deming. and the end is once again about Jack and Schuyler. I found Jack and Schuyler's sections of story to be boring for the most part. They go through a daring escape among other things, yet I remained uninterested in what was going on with them. Also, the way they speak to each other can be a bit nauseating. It is overly formal and they don't sound like teenagers. Yes, I know that Jack is a Blue Blood and has lived many lives but what is Schuyler's excuse for sounding so stuffy? For awhile I was worried I wouldn't be able to make myself finish this book but thankfully the middle of the book was much more interesting.

Mimi is the Regent of the New York Coven. She is bent on seeking revenge on her brother Jack, but before she can get around to that she must deal with the kidnapping of a Blue Blood. Her position as Regent is in jeopardy and she is desperate to find out who is behind the kidnapping. She calls in help from a venator names Deming who goes undercover at the school to investigate. Deming was by far the most interesting character and I wish there was more about her in the story. Oliver actually helps Mimi out with everything that is going on. I wasn't sure how that would work out but I liked the dynamic between them that was developing.

This is probably my least favorite book in this series so far. I don't think I really like the direction things are going. It has a different feel from the other books which kind of threw me off. I am hoping that it will get better in the next book.

3/5

I received this book for review. Any opinions expressed are my own.

Photobucket

1 comment:

LisaILJ said...

I have absolutely loved this series, but I too don't necessarily love the direction they have gone. That being said, I am kind of sad that the next book that comes out will be the last.