PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: Spiral by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams

  • Hardcover: 448 pages
  • Publisher: The Chicken House (May 1, 2012)
Goodreads Description:

The 5th book in the Tunnels series. The Styx have surfaced. The only ones to stand in their way is Will and his friends, and a rag-bag team of retired commandos.
***************************************
Years ago when I first discovered this series it instantly became one of my faves and I eagerly anticipated each books release. Every book has been amazing, but when I received Spiral and dove into the story I felt like something was missing. This story definitely has a different feel to it than the others. It wasn't bad, the story was pretty interesting actually, but it just wasn't what I had anticipated.

If you have been reading this series you will know about the Styx and their evil plans. Spiral is an in depth look at HOW they plan on executing their plan to obtain their goal. Will and his cohorts must find a way to foil the Styx's plans. The most interesting thing about the story is learning more about the Styx...their history, physiology, etc. It is all very unexpected and extremely different from any thought I have had about them. That and the fact that the story almost exclusively takes place above ground is probably the reason why the tone of the book is so different from the others.

I will still be awaiting the next book but I will be keeping my fingers crossed that the focus will switch back to underground (although I have a feeling that won't be the case). Usually I buy the UK release because it comes out much sooner than in the US, but because of the direction Spiral took I will probably just hold out for the US release. I don't think I will be quite as eager for the next installment as I typically would have been. A lot of fans of the Tunnels series will probably share a similar view of the story with me, but just as I will continue reading this series, so will they. Not a bad story, but certainly does not exceed expectations.

3/5

CymLowell

Photobucket

No comments: