PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, March 15, 2010

Book Review: Forget-Her-Nots by Amy Brecount White

Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Greenwillow Books (March 2, 2010)

Fourteen-year-old Laurel discovers she is part of a secret society dedicated to the magical language of flowers, in this debut novel set at an exclusive boarding school and blooming with romance, mystery, and intrigue.
.......................................................................................................

The most interesting thing about this book is the language of flowers. I already knew some obvious ones like the meaning of a rose is love, but for the most part I had no idea that so many flowers have meaning. Here are some other meanings you may have not known about:
  • Yellow carnation-disdain
  • Morning glory-affection
  • Grass-submission, utility
  • Hyacinth-sport, game, play
That's just a few...there are definitely plenty more. On the other hand I found this book to be a bit of a jumble. Parts were rushed, parts went on too long, etc. The idea of the story is a good one, I just felt it did not live up to the expectations I had. There just wasn't a good balance of the events that occurred. However, I am glad I read this book because I learned some new things. It wasn't a BAD read....it just wasn't awesome. I wish there was focus on the secondary characters because I feel they would have brought more to the story. Laurel was a really interesting character though. If there will be a sequel to this I would pick it up despite my "meh" feelings about Forget-Her-Nots just to see if it gets better.

3/5

No comments: