PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Book Review: No Rest for the WIcca by Toni LoTempio


No Rest for the Wicca by Toni LoTempio
Release Date: September 6, 2010
  • Format: Kindle Edition
  • File Size: 340 KB
Amazon Description:

Communing with the dead is an everyday occurrence for PI Morgan Hawkes. A half-Wiccan witch who can commune with spirits of those caught between worlds, Morgan uses her talents to exorcise the trapped ghost or demon as part of the Paranormal Investigation Squad – until a string of murders with a voodoo slant prompts the Special Forces Agency to ask for her assistance. Someone’s killing pureblood witches- and the SFA’s convinced Morgan’s heritage (her father was a voodoo priest) could be instrumental in solving the mystery. Teamed with dashing SF agent Cole St. John – an Inheritor Vampire that sets her blood racing – the two of them fight their attraction for each other as they race to stop a madman from unleashing a demonic force upon the world.
*******************************

In this story Morgan Hawkes joins up with Cole St. John to solve a series of murders of witches and stop any more from happening. To do this they go undercover where they believe the victims are chosen and the killer works.
Okay, so I really liked the idea of this book and the parts about Wicca and Voodoo seem very well researched. Those parts felt very authentic and I appreciated them because my knowledge of Wicca and Voodoo is practically nil. The main character, Morgan, was pretty likable although it was a little annoying that she kept beating herself over her last partner's death which she feels responsible for. I mean, I get it. I understand her guilt, but it gets brought up A LOT, by her and many others constantly. I guess it just got a little old for me especially because she would have been more interesting if she showed her sassy, snarky side more, but that got a bit repressed since the focus was so much on the guilt and being a "Debbie Downer".
There were really 2 things that kept me from enjoying this book and one of those was the dated lingo. The setting is current times but there were moments when characters said out of place things like "wouldn't that be a gas" or "Aye". It just felt odd to me. Another thing was the author was waaaay overly descriptive. It seemed like every little thing had a description, including stuff that really just didn't matter or add anything at all to the book. It made me think about how back in high school I had to write a 3 page report but after putting in all the important stuff I only had 1.5 pages. So what did I do? I added fluff until I got my 3 pages. It didn't necessarily make the report better but I got my 3 pages.
Overall I didn't particularly like this book, but I didn't hate it either. I checked out a number of reviews other people did as well as the Amazon rating and it really seems like most people enjoy it because the average rating is 4 out of 5. Based on that info I am probably in the minority with my lower rating so I do feel that if you like Urban Fantasy you may like this book even though I didn't really.

You can buy this book on Amazon for $2.99

Here are some other reviews for this book:
Novel Addiction
My Love Affair With Books
Strange Candy Reviews

My Rating:

2.5/5

No comments: