PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Review: Jane by April Lindner

Jane by April Lindner
  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Poppy; 1 edition (October 11, 2010)
Goodreads Description:

Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.

Part irresistible romance and part darkly engrossing mystery, this contemporary retelling of the beloved classic Jane Eyre promises to enchant a new generation of readers.
******************************

I remember first reading Jane Eyre when I was in middle school. My mom had encouraged me to read some of the classics she had on her bookshelf. I found some difficult to get through but I didn't seem to have that problem with Jane Eyre. It became one of my favorites. It is a dark story but there is love and it is different from any other book I have read. I've always wished there was a follow up story or a modernized version so I was very excited when I heard about April Lindner's book.

Throughout the entire book I could feel the spirit of the original come through. I was a little worried that it would get lost in the changes needed to modernize it, but all the important elements are there as well as the emotions that the original exudes. I believe that if I had never read Jane Eyre before I would want to after reading this book. Don't let the fact that it is labeled as Young Adult deter you from reading this if you are an adult.

I loved all the characters and I thought that Nico Rathburn (Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre) as a rock star looking for a comeback was perfect to sort of make him seem unattainable and maybe a bit intimidating to Jane. Reading about their evolving relationship kept me glued to the pages, and then of course when disaster hits I couldn't put the book down because I was desperate to know what Jane would do. The most interesting thing to me is that I already know this story and what will happen but the author really drew me in and it was like reading it for the first time.

I know that remakes of something you love often turn out to be disappointing because the bar is set so high, but this book blew me away. At the most I had hoped that it wouldn't suck and that I would kind of like it but it turns out that I LOVE it! I love it just as much as the original it turns out and it makes me hopeful that more great stories are remade with just as much thought and care.

5/5

CymLowell
Photobucket

4 comments:

Julie said...

AWEsome review! I just picked up Jane Eyre for a re-read and I think I would really like to have this title on my shelf as well! (Plus I love the cover!) :)

Elizabeth said...

Stopping by from Cym Lowell's Book Party.

Stop by my blog to see the "teaser" post for a blog hop giveaway.

Details will be posted on Saturday.

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Katy said...

I have the original Jane Eyre on my TBR shelf--I need to finally get it read for the first time this year. I've seen nothing but great reviews for this modern version of it. Thanks for the review!

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

This is one of the books on my list. Did you see that they're making a movie from teh books? Anyways just stopping by.