PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, February 4, 2011

Review: To Tempt a Rake by Cara Elliott

To Tempt a Rake (Circle of Sin, Book 3) by Cara Elliott
  • Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Forever (February 1, 2011)
Goodreads Description:

Kate Woodbridge has spent most of her life sailing to exotic ports around the globe, acquiring an expertise in botany, along with a few less ladylike skills. So when a deathbed promise to her parents brings her to London to seek reconciliation with her grandfather, the imperious Duke of Cluyne, she feels like a fish out of water. Her outspoken views and fiery temper tend to set off sparks in Society-especially with the rakish Conte of Como.

A devil-may-care rogue, Marco finds the alluring and mysterious Kate a tempting target for his flirtations. But when murder strikes at the duke's country house party he begins to suspect that she's hiding a dark secret. He has his own clandestine reasons for offering to help her prove her innocence . . . And so begins a journey of dangerous deception that leads from England to the glittering ballrooms of Vienna, where Marco and Kate must duel with a deadly villain . . . and their own explosive attraction.
************************
From the very first book in the Circle of Sin series I became interested with Kate Woodbridge. She had a unique upbringing and she is a little mysterious so I was eager to learn more about her. Her past becomes more clear and it really shows how resourceful she is. She had an encounter with Marco at a low point in her life and she is afraid that Marco will remember her so she is desperate to keep him at a distance but at the same time she is drawn to him. Marco is drawn to her as well even though he is on a mission and was basically ordered to keep his hands off her. While at the duke's house party someone is murdered and Kate and Marco search to find the killer and in the process discover an even bigger plot.

I really loved the chemistry between the two main characters and I think the pairing really made sense. One of my favorite parts of the book is that Marco and Kate aren't the only ones to find love in it. I would have enjoyed reading even more about that but it is what it is. There is action, intrigue, and love...a nice variety to keep things interesting.

Although I always think it is best to read a series in order I do think this is one a person could pick up and easily read without reading the books prior to it. To Tempt a Rake is not my favorite of the Circle of Sin series but altogether I was satisfied with it and I am sad that it is the last in the series. I'm really looking forward to whatever Cara Elliott writes next!

4/5

*I received this book from the publisher for review. Any opinions expressed are my own.

CymLowell

Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only read the first in the series, but remember enjoying it. Maybe I should pick up the other two.

Cherry said...

I came from Cym Lowell's Book Review Party Wednesday (BRPW).

This is the last book of the series? Did it usher a good ending to the series too?

Cherry Mischievous
www.cherrymischievous.com
chericenter-warrior2 [at] yahoo [dot] com