PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Review: Illusions by Aprilynne Pike

Illusions (Wings, book3) by Aprilynne Pike
  • Hardcover: 384 pages
  • Publisher: HarperTeen (May 3, 2011)
Goodreads Description:

Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.
*************************************

By far Illusions is my favorite book in the Wings series. The story felt more rounded out and developed...more complicated and a little less straightforward and obvious. I felt really pulled in with the possible subterfuge going on and even though there probably wasn't technically any more action in this book than the previous ones it seemed like it because it felt like there was a constant threat. I seriously could not put the book down. Aprilynne Pike knows how to leave readers desperate for more. Her books end on cliffhangers that leave me yelling "NOOOOOO! I NEED to know what happens NOW!" and then I have to calm down and realize it is not the end of the world. On the bright side, it means there will be another awesome book to read eventually.

A big thing with YA is the love triangles. Off the top of my head I can't even think of one that doesn't have one and the Wings series is no exception. So the question is Team Tamani or Team David? It is a difficult choice for readers and obviously Laurel. Every time I think she is going to go one way she seems to either do the opposite or backtrack. It is interesting but sometimes it is frustrating because her indecision is often hurtful and seems selfish. She does know that she is being that way but she is torn about it. I don't envy her position in this situation.

I like that Chelsea is around more in this book because her presence in the previous books (especially Spells) seemed random and a little off. She feels more like part of the group now and her presence makes more sense. Shar was also in the story a little more and readers get to learn something interesting about him. I hope that the information comes into play more in the future because I found it to be fascinating.

This series absolutely has to be read in proper order to be enjoyed. If you have read the first 2 and liked it I would be absolutely shocked if you didn't enjoy this one. As I previously said this is my favorite so far and that is saying a lot because the first book always tends to be my favorite when it comes to series.

5/5



Photobucket

No comments: