PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Review: Secrets by Lauren Kunze and Rina Onur

Secrets (The Ivy, book 2) by Lauren Kunze and Rina Onur
  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Greenwillow Books (May 31, 2011)
Goodreads Description:

Reputation, Reputation, Reputation.

You're a student at the most prestigious university in the country, and you've been tapped for the most elite social club. You've made it!

Now Don't Blow It!

Callie Andrews triumphed during her first semester at Harvard: she made incomparable friends, found the perfect boyfriend, and received invitations to the most exclusive secret societies. But she may have ruined every-thing with one ill-fated night. Now she's keeping secrets from everyone, including—

Clint the upperclassman who's too good to be true

Vanessa the best friend turned backstabber

Gregory the guy who's a total(ly hot) mistake

and Lexi the social queen who wants to bring Callie down.

But Callie didn't get into Harvard by giving up, and she isn't about to now. Besides, she's not the only one with something to hide. . . .

**************************************

In order to enjoy this book it is absolutely necessary that you read the first book, The Ivy, first or you won't understand a lot of what happens. I really loved The Ivy and was excited to read Secrets. Although I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book I still liked it a lot. This book is filled with drama drama drama. Kind of like watching a train wreck about to happen but you just can't seem to look away.

********Spoilers ahead if you haven't read the first book********




Callie is being blackmailed with a sex tape, her boyfriend wanted them to take a break and she slept with the player across the hall, and her roommate/ex-best friend is now her enemy. Like I said D-R-A-M-A. The lack of communication is what is really doing her in. She is keeping secrets from people and that always spells trouble. So many moments in the story had me wanting to yell at Callie and tell her to talk things through and stop assuming things about everyone. I feel like so many of her problems would have been solved immediately if she had just told someone what was going on.

What I really missed in this book is the roommates and the guys across the hall. Sure they were in it but nowhere near enough. Their antics and personalities are what made the first book shine so much in my opinion and it was sad that they were barely in it. The triangle between Gregory, Callie, and Clint was surprisingly one of the more minor issues in the story so I think that will come more into play in the next book. I guess this book was more about the blackmail situation and the friction between Callie and her roommate/ex-best friend Vanessa.

I was really surprised at how the story ended. Surprised in a good way that is. There are still plenty of problems and drama left over for the next book but many of the main problems were taken care of and the way things ended up was perfect. Not everything is necessarily happily ever after but I think that is a good thing.

3.5/5

CymLowell
Photobucket

1 comment:

Shy said...

I was not able to finish the first book, so I'm pretty sure I won't be reading this one. I've to agree on your assessment on Callie there and I think the way too many things happen in the book causing it to be lack on any sort of real depth.